17/6/21 OZY HOMES HAS PROGRESSED TO THE NEXT PHASE
of the referral process and has today published their draft Preliminary Documentation on the environmental assessment. You can read it via their ecologist’s report here
The public is able to comment on this documentation until COB 16 July 2021 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (please cc email@example.com) with “Manyana Submission” in the subject line.
12 July 2020 MEDIA RELEASE from Manyana Matters: Prominent artists unite to Occupy the Fence around controversial Manyana development.
A fluffy, life size wombat is woven from chicken wire and twine. Owl, cockatoo and bandicoot cut-outs perch on a pink, cardboard box tower block. Sculpted ceramic fungus ‘grows’ on a pile of blackened logs. The artworks on show at Occupy the Fence in Manyana this weekend were as colourful and quirky as they were powerful.On Saturday, 30 contemporary artists from across the state visited the small South Coast village. They were united by a desire to stand in solidarity with the local community, who are fighting to stop a development set to clear one of the last patches of bushland in the area untouched by this summer’s Currowan Mega Fire. Environmental artist Janet Lawrence, photographer Leila Jeffreys and multi-disciplinary artist Abdul Abdullah were among the participants.The brainchild of local resident and artist, Lara Merrett, the event turned the fence which surrounds the proposed development site into a giant, outdoor exhibition. Artists set up temporary, open-air studios and produced works inspired by and reflecting the pristine, unburnt bushland the community is campaigning to save. There were also workshops wherechildren and adults could get involved. Ms Merrett says she hopes the event will raise awareness of the need to conserve precious native habitat, in the wake of last summer’s devastating bushfires. “My colleagues in the art community wanted to lend a hand, collaborate with locals and broaden the fight that we’re having down here, because it’s bigger than just Manyana. It’s about protecting nature in bush-fire affected communities right across the state.”Local artist, Juz Kitson, says she was inspired to get involved for very personal reasons.“My studio is based in Milton and over the summer period I was affected by the fires. It’s something I feel a personal response to and wanted to support the community and show my own willingness to stand behind what’s going on.”Ms Kitson invited onlookers to participate in the creation of her work, Ephemeral:“I wanted to respond directly to the landscape. I collected a whole lot of timber that had been charred over the bushfire period. I also responded with fauna, both native and introduced, creating fungal growths out of ceramic. It became quite a community-based project, inviting a lot of the locals and children to participate. It sparked up a lot of conversation. There were a lot of stories shared. It was a wonderful experience.”Renowned artists Agatha Gothe-Snape and Mitch Cairns, who won the Archibald Prize in 2017 for his portrait of Gothe-Snape, travelled from their home in Sydney with their son to be part of the event. Gothe-Snape says she was inspired by the potential to spark a wider discussion about the importance of conservation.“Now is the time for absolute rethinking of how we are in this place. We live in a last-minute economy, but we need to think seriously about how much time we have to make change. “We also wanted to come with our son so he could see what happens when people protest.” The event was attended by Shadow NSW Environment Minister, Kate Washington, Federal Member for Gilmore, Fiona Phillips, Shoalhaven Mayor, Amanda Findley and Shoalhaven Councillor, Annette Alldrick. MLA Washington says:“It was community activism at its creative best. Positivity and resilience really shone through. There was a beautiful energy and a real collective sense of responsibility that came from it. “The community has already experienced an awesome amount of trauma and loss and you could feel it today. The Federal and State governments must ensure that this community doesn’t feel any more trauma or loss. “The call is loud and urgent for the Federal Minister for the Environment Sussan Ley, the State Minister for the Environment Matt Kean and the local member, Shelley Hancock to step up and stop the bulldozers, because if they don’t, the community will.” Manyana Matters Environmental Association President, Bill Eger, was on hand to welcome visitors and take them on a tour of the exhibition and the local area. He says the event was a much-needed boost to the community’s morale.“We are so honoured that so many of these wonderful artists gave up their weekend to be with us. By reclaiming the fence, they have turned what has been a distressing sight for our community into a symbol of hope. “The fact we had such a great response to this initiative shows our fight is bigger than just us. It’s about protecting native habitat in bushfire affected areas right across the state and the country.”
June 25 2020 Press Release from Manyana Matters Environment Assn
Federal Environment Minister set to review controversial Manyana development
ISSUED – 25 June 2020: The Manyana Matters Environmental Association (MMEA) welcomes the decision by owner Manyana Coast Pty Ltd to refer their Manyana Beach Estate development for review by the Federal Minister for Environment, Sussan Ley.
The project will now be assessed under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act, in terms of its impact on federally listed species.
MMEA spokesperson Jorj Lowrey says the referral vindicates the MMEA’s decision to take the matter to the Federal Court.
“It’s great to see the owner agrees with us that this project needs a proper assessment in terms of its impact on vulnerable flora and fauna.
“We’ve long understood the ecological heritage and value of this land. It’s only become even more significant since this summer’s devastating bushfires.
“It’s a veritable ark of plant and animal species, and a base from which the surrounding Conjola National Park can recover.”
The project is now open for public consultation for the statutory period of 10 days until 8 July. It will then be assessed by the Minister as to whether it qualifies as a “controlled action” and requires further detailed scientific assessment and scrutiny.
The MMEA is calling on ecologists and conservation experts (individuals and groups), as well as concerned members of the public, to have their say on why this land is so significant and needs to be protected, particularly at this time, when the entire Shoalhaven landscape has been so dramatically and suddenly changed by the Currowan Mega-Fire.
Ms Lowrey credits the Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) with making this outcome possible.
“This wouldn’t have happened without the efforts and expertise of the EDO. We are so thankful for their hard work,” Ms Lowrey said.
July 3 2020 Press Release from Manyana Matters Environmental Assn
National Trust lists Manyana bushland as threatened species sighted ISSUED – 3 July 2020: The National Trust of Australia (NSW) has listed the controversial Manyana Beach Estate as an area of significant natural heritage value. Manyana Matters Environmental Association (MMEA) spokesperson Jorj Lowrey says: “The listing is a major breakthrough in the fight to stop the development from going ahead.
It reframes the perspective on this bushland and vindicates our campaign to save it.” Graham Quint, Director of Conservation for the Trust wrote: “Listing on the Trust Register is recognised as an authoritative statement of heritage significance of an area site, item or building, and, by listing such items on the Register, the Trust hopes to advise the public of the value of Australia’s national heritage.” The National Trust, which has named the site the ‘Manyana Landscape Conservation Area’, pointed to its biodiversity and significance to the local community in the aftermath of the Currowan Mega-Fire as key reasons for the listing.“[It] has scientific and nature conservation significance as a rare surviving wildlife corridor and habitat for endangered species …
The area has high aesthetic significance for the local community particularly as so much of the adjoining bushland has been severely burnt,” the National Trust wrote on its listing. The listing comes after surveys conducted by local researchers found evidence of several threatened species in and around the site. This includes the Dusky Antechinus, Glossy Black Cockatoo and Gang-Gang Cockatoo, all of which have recently been added to the Federal Government’s priority list for urgent management intervention in the wake of last summer’s bushfires. Ecologist and local resident Brendan Ryan says these recent sightings highlight the inadequacy of the ecological report submitted by developer Ozy Homes to the Federal Environment Minister last week as part of their referral. “It’s woefully inadequate.
It only assesses seven out of a potential 51 species that are listed on the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act, and there is no mention of threatened ecological communities. It is not a serious attempt to evaluate the ecological impact of this project after the catastrophic fires that decimated the Conjola National Park and surrounds,” Mr Ryan says. The proposed development and its effect on federally listed species are currently being reviewed by the Federal Environment Minister. “There’s so much at stake for conservation dependent plant and animal species. I urge the Minister to call this project in as a controlled action in order for the cumulative impacts to be properly assessed after the devastating fires,” Mr Ryan says.
Contact Details if Stage 1 clearing conditions are not adhered to click here
OZY HOMES INTENTIONS FOR MBE
CONCERNS FROM RHVA RE COMMENCEMENT OF MBE CLEARING
See correspondence out letter below 29th April
STATEMENT FROM OZYHOMES REGARDING BUSHFIRES
In the wake of the devastating bushfires, OzyHomes have expressed their concern for the community and the environment, and have temporarily put work on MBE and “The Spot” on hold. Please refer to the document below for their full statement.
PLEASE NOTE – Details have been rapidly evolving since SCC’s contact (14 November 2019) regarding the construction certificate for Stage 1, with information being updated and corrected by key stakeholders on several occasions. The information provided below is believed to be correct, based on information available at the time of writing, but further modifications may be necessary. Please keep an eye out for further updates and direct any enquiries to the relevant authorities via the contact details provided below.
The following list of documents and contact details will remain at the top of this page, and will be updated as required. Scroll down for important additional information and updates.
- Click here for the full list documents pertaining to the determination on the Manyana Beach Estate development available on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website
- Notification/notes from SCC regarding issuing of construction certificate for Stage 1.
- Planning approval – see schedule 2 for conditions that need to be complied with before, during and after construction. See updates below regarding restrictions on clearing of vegetation.
- Site map (from Department website)
- Tree details (from Department website). Shows list/location of trees in preservation zone. Stage 1 includes the first 6 lots (from left to right) in the row adjacent to row 4 (see bottom of image). Note that the tree preservation zone does not extend into the western-most lots)
- Colour coded map highlighting key features of Stage 1 works (prepared by RHVA based on currently available information – NB the shaded area for the 49m APZ is an approximation only. This map is intended as an indicative guide only).
NB Please also notify RHVA of non-compliance issues (see Contacts page of website, or leave a comment).
NSW Department of Planning
For matters relating to consent:
1300305695 or online (NSW planning “Contact us”).
The SCC site inspector will be Neil Prior, engineering subdivision:
(02) 4429 3230.
For non-compliance issues (e.g. noise, dust), please register a complaint with council by clicking here.
Site supervisor contact details will be displayed publicly on the external fencing of the development. They have also advised that further enquiries can be directed to their office on (02) 8077 1109.
Update 23 December 2019
We have been advised that the developer no longer needs to complete each stage before moving on to the next one. The simply need to demonstrate “practical completion”. This represents a change to the original approval conditions.
Updates December 3 2019
Below is a summary of key information that has been obtained from SCC, APWM CIVIL (contracted to do civil construction) and/or has been extracted from the above documents.
Scope of current construction certificate
The current construction certificate applies to Stage 1. Further construction certificates will only be issued on the completion and passing of each stage. Council has advised that the stages would normally progress in numerical order, but this can be varied if there is an appropriate reason.
Letter from AWPM CIVIL, including hours of site operation
Last week, residents adjacent to the development site received a letter from AWPM CIVIL, the firm engaged to undertake the civil construction of the site. The letter confirms that works will commence on Stage 1 with “main access from Berringer Road”, and that consent has been given for working hours of:
7am to 6pm Monday to Friday
7am to 12 noon on Saturdays
No work on Sundays or public holidays
Please note the following clarifications/corrections of information in the letter:
- Council has advised that the State Government, not council, is the consenting authority. The working hours were set by Stage Government; these differ from council hours.
- AWPM CIVIL advises that the site office/compound will be located adjacent to the access road from Berringer Rd, at the location marked “proposed bus stop location” (i.e. in Stage 5, see map).
Works will commence with survey work and erection of barriers. APWM Civil advise that they intend to commence pegging out of the site next week and to have at least the scrub cleared before their Christmas break (20 Dec to 6 Jan).
Restrictions on clearing of vegetation
Trees in the tree preservation zone (10m zone within lots adjacent to existing properties, see map) cannot be cleared without permission from council (see part B7 of the conditions of Project Approval document). These trees are identified in the Approved Plans – Tree Details document, below.
Other vegetation can be cleared, however only for Stage 1. As per B7(2) of the Project Approval document “removal of vegetation shall be carried out commensurate with the construction of each stage of the development“. Note that additional clearing is permitted for asset protection zones and the construction of access roads (see below).
Update on access road
The access road that has been permitted by council to allow heavy traffic to enter the site from Berringer Rd will now go along roads 1 and 2, through stages 5 and 4 (south along road 2 adjacent to green space, then east along road 3, then south along road 1 adjacent to playground, then into stage 1 – see map). This route avoids the Endangered Ecological Community (EEC, see map) as much as possible and will become a permanent road. Council advises that this route avoids the Bangalay moist woodland; this means that clearing can commence at this time of year. Otherwise, Bangalay moist woodland cannot be cleared between October and the end of February.
Hollow bearing trees and nesting boxes
As set out in State government conditions, trees with hollows must be inspected prior to felling by the ecologists who prepared the report for the developer (Ecoplanning). Animals must be rehomed before the tree can be felled. A total of 108 nesting boxes are to be set up, in the EEC with overflow going onto Crown Land on the western side of Cunjurong Point Rd. These are supposed to be monitored, for example for rodents.
Asset protection zone
- A 49m asset protection zone will be cleared around Stage 1. Part of this includes Bangalay moist woodland – clearing of this area will be delayed until March or later. The APZ “can be removed once adjoining stages have been developed and the bushfire threat removed” (see Project Approval).
- A permanent 10m asset protection zone will be cleared behind houses on Sunset Strip bordering the EEC and associated buffer zone.
Protection of EEC and buffer zone during construction
AWPC CIVIL advises that fencing will be erected to protect the EEC and buffer zone during construction.
The construction certificate is just about to be issued for Stage 1. Click here for notification and relevant information from council.
Stage 1 can commence with no restriction on time of year.
Council subdivisions department have stated they will allow clearing for heavy vehicle access through stages 2/3 from Berringer Road as this is a further requirement to prevent heavy vehicles on Sunset Strip and The Companionway.
There is a 10M wide tree preservation zone to the rear of allotments adjacent to existing lots on Sunset Strip, this will affect 4 lots in stage 1 (see link before for site maps and tree identification).
Further construction certificates will only be issued on the completion and passing of each stage.
Clearing restrictions apply to stages 2,3 and 4. The clearing restrictions are from the beginning of October and the end of February in any year.